<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 18, 2009

Summer of (Bike) Love 

Now that summer is *FINALLY* here that means we can bring out our wildest pieces and maybe jump into a new trend. One trend that is surprisingly fresh and interesting to me is bike shorts.

Now, bike shorts you say, otherwise known as cycling shorts, are back in in the hip fashion community. It has a very 80's 90's LA gear sort of look. Young, hip girls and guys are wearing them with tees and tunics, even under mini dresses. Personally I love the look, as long as its pulled off right.

But it's not just the Tricot Nylon cycle shorts from memories of grade school that have come back, but in tons of other fabrics as well. I love the baby rib knits and lace too!

Now how can we the "not-quite-as-hip" crowd pull off this fashion forward look without feeling like your going to ride in the Tour de France?? The first step is choosing the right color or pattern. Choose something neutural, not in a bold print, unless your planning on balancing it with a dark solid. Then, just substitute them anywhere where you would wear leggings. Feel like a dress is too short? Or have to ride your bike to work? Make a fashion statement and feel like your outfit is socially acceptable by having them peek out just a bit under the hem of the dress. Add them under those short shorts too, for a little more coverage (Plus the layering effect looks super cool!). The key is to keep the top layer short, very short so that the longer short doesn't look dowdey.

This reminds me of the underground pop music clubs in London, all electric colors and stretch fabrics. I'm about to invest in my first pair, a vibrant neon green pair from American Apparel. Although I am soon going to buckle and buy a lace pair too.

You may see me wearing them under my brand new Hilde dress by Sunhee Moon. Pop in to the Fillmore store and show me how you wear your bike shorts I promise that when I get mine, I'll show you my look.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment